According to a report by Columbia University, India has emerged as the world's 21st largest outward investor, with more US$ 75 billion overseas investment in the past decade.
According to the data from the Reserve Bank, investments by domestic companies in overseas joint ventures and wholly-owned subsidiaries stood at US$ 10.3 billion during 2009-10.
Equity accounted for more than 64 per cent (over US$ 6.6 billion) of the total outward foreign domestic investments (FDI), loans for about 35.6 per cent (over US$ 3.6 billion), as per the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). In terms of destinations, Singapore, Mauritius, the Netherlands, the US and the British Virgin Islands accounted for 67 per cent of total outward foreign direct investment (FDI). Singapore and Mauritius remains top destinations with more than 48 per cent share of the investments during 2009-10.
- Elecon Engineering Company Ltd, a material handling equipment, industrial gears and transmission products manufacturer, has announced the acquisition of the UK-based Benzlers-Radicon Group (BR Group) for US$ 34.34 million.
- Fortis Healthcare Ltd (FHL) has tied up with RAK Hospital, Dubai and Regency Medical Centre, Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania, to provide specialised medical service in the two countries.
- Biocon Ltd will set up its first overseas manufacturing and research facility in Malaysia with an initial investment of around US$ 160.38 million.
- Allcargo Global Logistics Ltd through its step-down wholly owned subsidiary has acquired business rights and controlling stake in Hong Kong-based companies engaged in NVOCC business in China and other parts of eastern regions.
- The Essar Group-owned back-office firm, Aegis, has acquired Actionline, one of the largest BPO firms in Argentina. The acquisition will give Aegis a 5,000-people strong facility and a presence in the Latin America region, in addition to Spanish-speaking capability that can be leveraged for US and European markets.
- Mumbai-based drug-maker Twilight Litaka Pharma Limited has picked up 26 per cent equity in South Africa's Interpro Healthcare Ltd.
- Mumbai-based Patni Computer Systems has opened a new delivery and support centre in Suzhou, China. This centre is set to serve Yangtze region – the largest manufacturing base for international companies.
- Auto component maker Ashok Minda Group has completed the acquisition of specialist composite moulding manufacturer Aksys Koengen of Germany.
- Tata Motors has bought an 80 per cent stake in Italy-based Trilix Srl, a design and engineering company for US$ 2.56 million.
- ICICI Bank has opened its first retail branch in Singapore after it received the Full Banking Licence with Qualified Full Banking (QFB) privileges from the Monetary Authority of Singapore in April 2010.
- Arvind Ltd will invest US$ 60 million over the next three years on setting up a joint venture plant in Bangladesh.
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) signed an agreement with South Africa-based Befula Investments for a joint venture to develop power transmission and distribution (T&D) projects in South Africa. L&T will have a 72.5 per cent stake in the venture.
- Refractory manufacturer IFGL Refractories has acquired two US-based firms—EI Ceramics and CUSC International—for US$ 13 million to build a presence in one of the world’s largest markets for steel.
- KEC International Ltd, an RPG group company, has acquired Texas-based power transmission infrastructure company SAE Towers Holdings for an enterprise value of US$ 95 million.
- Ahmedabad-based Elitecore Technologies, provider of network security solutions, has announced foray into the African market with its NGN ready billing support system and operations support system (BSS/OSS) product suits.
- Ybrant Digital, a digital marketing solutions company, has acquired Lycos Inc, a search-based internet properties and services company, from Daum Communications of Korea for US$ 36 million.