The IT and electronics sector is one of the fastest-growing segments of the Indian industry, both in terms of production and exports. In fact, software development and IT-enabled Services (lTeS) have contributed significantly to India's emergence as a global player. Today, India is a vast market and has a major IT production base. The direct employment in the lTeS sector was estimated to grow at a rate of 9 per cent to reach 2.77 million in 2011-12. Electronics hardware production (supply) is expected to touch US$ 400 billion by 2020.
- There has been continued growth across product development and engineering services, reflecting India's increasing role in global technology IP creation.
- The emergence of green IT with the introduction of green products (which are efficient in energy, space, materials usage and are regulatory-compliant) is creating meaningful differentiation.
- The Indian communication and broadcasting sector - with a subscriber base of 926.5 million as of December 2011 - is the third largest in world and second largest in Asia.
- Consumer electronics registered 7.19 per cent growth in production in 2011-12 and a growth rate of 11.3 percent for the period 2006-07 to 2011-12.
- PC sales were estimated to go around 10.7 million units in 2011-12 with an estimated 12 per cent growth in production.
Electronics and Computer Software Export Promotion Council
The Electronics and Computer Software Export Promotion Council (ESC) was formed to provide a platform to the IT & Electronics Industry in India. With exports to more than 200 countries, ESC has successfully steered the direction of India’s electronics and software exports to achieve export volumes of around US$ 78.6 billion during 2011-2012.
3rd Floor, PHD House
Opp. Asiad Village
New Delhi - 110 016
Tel.: +91-11-2696 5103, 2696 4463
Download the brochureSize: 99.9 mb