India is one of the world's leading producers of tea - 23 per cent share by volume in 2011. The tea produced in India is among the finest in the world owing to strong geographical indications, heavy investments in tea processing units, continuous innovation, augmented product mix and strategic market expansion. The main growing regions lie in Northeast India, including Assam, the Darjeeling district and the Dooars region of North Bengal, and in the Nilgiris in South India.
- India has a significant share in the international tea market with a 12 per cent share of world tea exports in 2011
- India is also one of the world's largest consumers of tea
- The tea industry is also India's second-largest employer with over 3.5 million workers employed in over 1,500 tea-growing estates
Key Markets and Export Destinations
Russia, the US, the UK, the UAE, Iran, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Germany, Australia, Japan, the Netherlands, Ireland, Poland and Sri Lanka are some of the major global markets for exports of Indian tea. The West Asian countries are the largest market and accounted for nearly 25 per cent of exports, while the CIS countries accounted for 23.5 per cent in 2010-11
Between 2007-08 and 2011-12, exports grew from US$ 470 million to US$ 670 million, growing at a rate of 9.2 per cent. In volume terms, India registered exports of 209 million kg during 2011-12. The Government of India has set an export target of 220 million kg for 2013.
- India's tea exports are largely in the form of bulk tea, which accounted for 78 per cent of total exports during 2011-12
- The export of tea bags has witnessed a growth rate of around 7 per cent between 2007-08 and 2011-12
Tea Board of India
The Board was set up under the provision of Tea Act 1953 and it started functioning in April 1954. Its headquarters are in Kolkata with seventeen offices across India.
Apart from various developmental and regulatory functions, the Tea Board of India undertakes direct promotional activities, which include organising joint participation in international fairs and exhibitions, arranging buyer-seller meets and sending and hosting trade delegations. The Board also undertakes various market development activities such as market surveys, market analysis, tracking of consumer behaviour and dissemination of all relevant information to exporters/importers.
14, B.T.M. Sarani
Kolkata - 700001
Tel.: +91-33-22351411 (11 Lines)
Download the brochureSize: 7.61 mb