India produces a variety of non-timber forest/agricultural products (NTFP) and has a global footprint in the export of such produce.
Some of India's noteworthy produce includes:
- Sesame seeds: Food applications
- Guar gum: Emulsifier, thickener, stabilizer for a wide range of foods, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals
- Shellac: Wood polish, food and drug coatings, cosmetics
- Tendu leaf: Bidi wrapping
- Tree-borne oil seeds:Bio-diesel, medicines, dyes, tanning, fertilizers, pest control, varnish
- Medicinal plants: Cosmetics and medicines
- Bamboo, rattans and canes:Furniture, handicrafts, housing, food, paper
- Isabgol: Purgative
Key Markets and Export Destinations
India has been recording consistent growth in the export of NTFP over the last five years. It is the largest exporter of guar gum, sesame seeds and shellac, and the second- largest exporter of medicinal plants in the world.
Shellac and Forest Products Export Promotion Council (Shefexil)
SHEFEXIL was formerly known as the Shellac Export Promotion Council, which had been working in partnership with the industry since 1957 as the catalyzing agency for the long-term development and export promotion of shellac and lac-based products.
“Vanijya Bhawan” International Trade
1/1 Wood Street, 2nd Floor
Kolkata –700 016
Download the brochureSize: 24.8 mb