Assam has 16 industrial estates, four industrial growth centres, 11 integrated infrastructure development projects, 17 industrial areas, 11 growth centres, six mini industrial estates, one export promotion park and two food processing industrial parks.
To facilitate infrastructure support, the State Industries and Commerce Department has sponsored three projects as industrial growth centres at Chariduar, Matia and Chaygaon-Patgaon.
The Assam government has approved 11 integrated infrastructure development centres across the state. Some of the major initiatives taken by the government to promote Assam as an investment destination are:
- Under the current Five-Year Plan, a new Institute of Information Technology (IIT) has been set up in Guwahati, Assam in the Public-Private Partnership mode. It will help in promoting research and industrial partnership in technical education.
- Assam Industrial Development Corporation (AIDC) has implemented an Export Promotion Industrial Park (EPIP) at Amingaon, near Guwahati in the district of Kamrup, at an estimated cost of US$ 3 million.
- Industrial growth centres with supporting infrastructure have been set up at Balipara in the Sonitpur district and Matia in Goalpara.
- Integrated Infrastructure Development (IID) centres have been planned at Parbatpur, Serphangguri, Dalgaon, Demow, Bhomoraguri, Malinibeel, Dahudi, Silapathar, Rangia, Banderdewa and Titabar.
- The Government of India has created a special purpose tea fund (SPTF) for rejuvenation of the tea bushes. This will benefit about 700 to 800 tea gardens of the state.
(Size: 1.82 MB )