Mizoram has eight industrial estates, of which five are operational and the remaining are yet to be developed.
Zoram Industrial Development Corporation (ZIDCO) is responsible for the overall development of industrial infrastructure in the state.
ZIDCO has established an integrated infrastructure development centre (IIDC) at Lunglei district with an investment of around US$ 1.0 million. The centre offers power, water, telecommunication and other amenities for the industrial units.
The following are some of the major initiatives taken by the government to promote Mizoram as an investment destination:
- A border trade centre has been established for trade with Bangladesh.
- Mizoram is setting up an special economic zone (SEZ) in the Northeast with assistance from the North East Council. The SEZ will be located at Khawnuam village in Champhai. Bamboo-based industries would play a major role in the proposed SEZ.
- The National Bamboo Mission (NBM), a centrally sponsored scheme, envisages to increase the coverage area under bamboo plantation and consequently increase the yie.
- The state government will attempt to provide for all incentives and facilities granted by the central government for similar undertaking in other states.
- Mizoram's Government has signed memorandum of understanding (MOU) with national companies for oil palm development.