The natural resources, policy incentives and infrastructure in the state support investments in the drugs and pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, IT/ITeS, mines and minerals, textiles, leather and tourism sectors.
Uttarakhand has been successful in attracting long-term investments because of its key industrial and sector-specific policies.
Directorate of Industries is the state level office responsible for implementing the policies and programmes for industrial development in the state.
Some of the major initiatives taken by the government to promote Uttarakhand as an investment destination are:
- With the establishment of the Software Technology Parks of India (STPI) earth station at Dehradun, Uttarakhand now offers high-speed connectivity. There are more such earth stations planned at other locations. Facilities by BSNL and Reliance are also available in the state.
- An IT development agency has been constituted by the state government at Shasthradhara Road, Dehradun.
- The state government has decided to set up a horticulture marketing board to boost horticulture products in the state.
- The state government plans to utilise and leverage biotechnology for accelerating the economic development by converting its biowealth into economic wealth.
- The single-window contract facility is available under a two-tier system-The District Industrial Centres (DIC) at the district-level and SIDCUL at the state-level. These centres are responsible for providing information and escort services to entrepreneurs. They also maintain a data bank.
(Size: 2.1 MB )