New Delhi: 100% Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is allowed under automatic route in storage and warehousing including warehousing of agriculture products with refrigeration (cold storage).
The National Centre for Cold Chain Development (NCCD) has been established as an autonomous body and registered as a Society under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
The main objectives of the Society are:
- To recommend standards and protocols for cold chain infrastructure/building including post-harvest management so as to harmonize with international standards and best practices and suggest mechanism for bench marking and certification of infrastructure/building, process and services provided by cold chain industry.
- To undertake and coordinate Research and Development (R&D) work required for development of cold chain industry in consultation with stakeholders.
- To undertake and coordinate the task of Human Resource Development (HRD) and capacity building, conduct in-house training, short-term/long courses relevant for cold chain development.
- To launch publicity campaign to educate the stakeholders including awareness building about the benefits of integrated cold chain.
- To recommend appropriate policy framework relating to development of cold chain.
- To facilitate and foster the development of multi-modal transportation facilities for perishable agricultural, horticultural and allied commodities.
This information was given today by Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing Industries, Shri Tariq Anwar in a written reply to Rajya Sabha questions.