The Indian plastics industry made a promising beginning in 1957 with the production of polystyrene. Thereafter, significant progress has been made, and the industry has grown and diversified rapidly. The industry spans the country and hosts more than 2,000 exporters. It employs about 4 million people and comprises more than 30,000 processing units, 85-90 percent of which are small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Export of plastic products from India stood at US$ 7.64 billion in FY 2015-16.
- During 2015-16, major importers of Indian plastic products were US (US$ 898.45 million), China (US$ 489.25 million), UAE (US$ 422.74 million), Germany (US$ 290.03 million), UK (US$ 287.68 million), Italy (US$ 286.9 million), Turkey (US$ 285.23 million), Bangladesh (US$ 184.33 million), Saudi Arabia (US$ 169.1 million) and Nepal (US$ 161.09 million)
- Domestic consumption of plastic is expected to touch 20 million Metric Tonnes by 2020.
- The Indian plastics industry produces and exports a wide range of raw materials, plastic-moulded extruded goods, polyester films, moulded / soft luggage items, writing instruments, plastic woven sacks and bags, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), leather cloth and sheeting, packaging, consumer goods, sanitary fittings, electrical accessories, laboratory / medical surgical ware, tarpaulins, laminates, fishnets, travelware, and others.
- The Indian plastics industry offers excellent potential in terms of capacity, infrastructure and skilled manpower. It is supported by a large number of polymer producers, and plastic process machinery and mould manufacturers in the country.
- Among the industry’s major strengths is the availability of raw materials in the country. Thus, plastic processors do not have to depend on imports. These raw materials, including polypropylene, high-density polyethylene, low-density polyethylene and PVC, are manufactured domestically.
PLASTICS EXPORT PROMOTION COUNCIL
The Plastics Export Promotion Council (PLEXCONCIL) is the apex government body responsible for the promotion of plastic exports. PLEXCONCIL members comprise large-/medium-/small-scale manufacturers and exporters. The council supports exporters by participating in international trade fairs, exploring new markets, organising buyer- seller meets both in India and overseas, and engaging in various other promotion and need- based activities.
Total export of plastic products stood at US$ 7.64 billion in FY 2015-16
Click here for Plexconcil Brochure