* Rising number of medical facilities will boost the demand for medical devices in the market.
* Various government initiatives such as ‘Production Linked Incentives (PLI) Scheme for Medical Devices 2020’ and establishing medical parks will augment demand.
* The medical technology sector in India is projected to reach US$ 50 billion by 2025.
* The Indian medical device is driven by 75-80% imports from countries such as the US, China and Germany.
* India and Russia have set the bilateral trade target at US$ 30 billion by 2025. Trade is expected to increase by an additional US$ 5 billion per annum, with opportunities in pharmaceuticals & medical devices, minerals, steel, and chemicals.
* Medical devices are a highly attractive export area for US firms.
* In October 2021, the government announced plan to draft a new drugs, cosmetics and medical devices bill to increase the acceptability of Indian medical devices in the global market.
* In November 2021, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) collaborated with Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) to establish ‘ICMR at IITs’ by setting up Centres of Excellence (CoE) for Make-in-India product development and commercialisation in the medical devices and diagnostics space.
* This sector has attracted significant investments over the years.
* In FY20, foreign investments in the medical devices sector increased 98% YoY to Rs. 2,196 crore (US$ 301.01 million) as against Rs. 1,108 crore (US$ 151.87 million) in FY19.
* FDI inflow in the medical and surgical appliances sector stood at US$ 2.35 billion between April 2000 and December 2021.
Climate change and global warming are the biggest threats of the present time and how the world manages to control pollution will define our future. R...
Infrastructure is crucial to the development of any economy. Roads, railways, airways, and waterways enable connectivity with the outside world, facil...
India has a huge potential for digital payments. As of October 2021, the country had around 1.18 billion mobile connections, 700 million Internet user...
Introduction India has one of the oldest healthcare systems in the world, ...
Introduction Advanced technology is gaining prominence across the globe, e...