Coffee Industry and Exports

Last Updated: July, 2018


In India, coffee is grown in regions that receive 2,500–4,000mm rainfall across more than 100 days, followed by a continuous dry period of a similar duration. Coffee growing areas in the country have diverse climatic conditions, which are suitable for the cultivation of different varieties of coffee.

Key Markets and Export Destinations

  • India is the third-largest producer and exporter of coffee in Asia, and the seventh-largest producer and fifth-largest exporter of coffee in the world.
  • The country accounts for 3.66 per cent (2017) of the global coffee production.
  • The coffee production in FY 2017-18 is estimated at 316,000 million tonnes (MT), as against 312,000 million tonnes in FY 2016-17.
  • Over April 2017-March 2018 (provisional), coffee exports from India stood at 267,510 tonnes valued at US$ 652.35 million, registering a year-on-year growth of 12.70 per cent.
  • Italy, Russia, Germany, Belgium, Turkey, USA, Poland, Libya, Spain and Indonesia are the leading importers of Indian coffee.
  • Of the total coffee produced in India, around 70 per cent is exported while the remaining 30 per cent is consumed domestically.


The Coffee Board of India is engaged in the research, development, extension, quality upgrade, market information, and domestic and international promotion of Indian coffee. Since 2002, the board has been conducting the India International Coffee Festival, a biennial event held in India in collaboration with other industry stakeholders.

The overall production of coffee is expected to reach 320,000 tonnes in 2016-17.

Source: Coffee Board

Other Export Promotion Councils:

Disclaimer: This information has been collected through secondary research and IBEF is not responsible for any errors in the same.


No 1, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Veedhi
Bangalore – 560001,

Fax: +91-80-22255557

The overall production of coffee is expected to reach 320,000 tonnes in 2016-17.

Source: Coffee Board


Coffee Exports From India