‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ gets global partner: NCC & UNEP sign MoU in the presence of Raksha Mantri Mr. Rajnath Singh to synergise efforts to achieve the universal goal of clean water bodies
On September 22, 2022, the National Cadet Corps (NCC) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) signed a MoU in New Delhi to work together to combat plastic pollution and achieve the global goal of clean water bodies through the "Puneet Sagar Abhiyan" and the "Tide Turners Plastic Challenge programme" in the presence of Minister of Defence, Mr. Rajnath Singh.
During the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference, COP26, held in Glasgow, Scotland between October 31-November 13, 2021, Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi referred to his vision as "Panchamrit." The "Puneet Sagar Abhiyan" is just one of the numerous actions the government has taken to realise this vision. Five main components were proposed by the Prime Minister as India's ground-breaking response to climate change, which are:
- By 2030, India will increase its non-fossil energy production to 500 GW.
- By 2030, India will source 50% of its energy needs from renewable sources.
- From now until 2030, India will cut its anticipated carbon emissions by a total of one billion tonnes.
- India will cut the economy's carbon intensity by more than 45% by 2030.
- India will reach its goal of Net Zero by 2070.
Disclaimer: This information has been collected through secondary research and IBEF is not responsible for any errors in the same.