Haryana is among the northern most states in India and adjacent to national capital Delhi. It is surrounded by Uttar Pradesh in the east, Punjab in the west, Himachal Pradesh in the north and Rajasthan in the south. The state surrounds the national capital city, New Delhi, from three sides. Historically an agrarian state, Haryana today is a well-developed industrial state.
The state is one of India's largest automobile hubs and accounts for two thirds of passenger cars, 50 per cent of tractors and 60 per cent of motorcycles manufactured in the country. The state has also emerged as a base for the knowledge industry, including IT and biotechnology. Haryana is the third-largest exporter of software and one of the preferred destinations for IT/ITeS facilities.
With an area covering 1.3 per cent of the country, Haryana contributed near 3.63 per cent to India’s GDP in 2017-18. Between FY12-18, the state’s GSDP (in Rs) grew at a CAGR of 12.66 per cent to Rs 6.08 trillion (US$ 94.41 billion) in 2017-18 (A). The state government of Haryana has been committed to creating a progressive business environment. The state offers a wide range of fiscal and policy incentives for businesses under the Industrial and Investment Policy, 2011. Haryana was ranked third best state in the country ease of doing business in the Business Reforms Action Plan 2017.
- The Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) Expressway was inaugurated in November 2018.
- Merchandise exports from Haryana reached US$ 13.3 billion in FY18 and US$ 7.18 billion in FY19 (up to September 2018).
- The state* has attracted Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) equity inflows worth US$ 79.76 billion during the period April 2000 to June 2018, according to data released by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
- In May 2018, Government of Haryana signed 10 memoranda of understanding (MoUs) with UK for various projects requiring investment of around Rs 1,500 crore (US$ 232.74 million).
- Amazon, the Seattle-headquartered e-commerce company that operates an online marketplace opened its 22nd fulfilment centre in Sonipat, Haryana.
- A medical college will be set up in each district of Haryana to meet the rising healthcare requirements.
- Haryana is a preferred destination for auto majors and auto-component manufacturers. The state is host to many large automotive players. Automobiles and auto component exports from Haryana were around US$ 1.39 billion in FY18 and have reached US$ 658.3 million between Apr-Sep 2018.
- Gurgaon has emerged as a preferred destination for the IT industry in North India, with more than 400 IT and ITeS companies.
- Haryana aggressively promotes organic farming; financial assistance is provided to farmers for production and use of vermicompost. Total foodgrain production in Haryana in 2017-18 was 17.48 million tonnes. In 2017-18, the state exported major agricultural products worth US$ 1.3 billion and worth US$ 547.67 million between Apr-Aug 2018.
- Districts such as Panipat, Gurugram, Faridabad, Hisar and Sonepat have developed into robust textile centers in Haryana. Readymade garments of cotton are one of the major exports of Haryana, with their export reaching US$ 887.64 million in FY18 and US$ 409.24 million between Apr-Sep 2018.
*Includes Delhi, part of Uttar Pradesh, (A) – Advance estimates