Haryana is among the northern most state in India and adjacent to Delhi, the national capital of India. It is surrounded by Uttar Pradesh in the east, Punjab in the west, Himachal Pradesh in the north, and Rajasthan in the south. The state surrounds the national capital city, New Delhi, from three sides. Historically an agrarian state, Haryana today is a well-developed industrial state.
The state is one of India's largest automobile hubs and accounts for two-thirds passenger cars, 50% tractors and 60% motorcycles manufactured in the country. The state has also emerged as a base for the knowledge industry, including IT and biotechnology. Haryana is the third-largest exporter of software and one of the preferred destinations for IT/ITeS facilities.
With an area covering 1.3% of the country, Haryana contributed near 3.32% to India’s GDP in 2019-20. Between FY16-21, the state’s Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) increased at a CAGR of 13.65% to Rs. 9.40 trillion (US$ 133.31 billion) in 2020-21.
The State Government of Haryana has been committed to creating a progressive business environment. The state offers a wide range of fiscal and policy incentives for businesses under the Industrial and Investment Policy, 2011. Haryana ranked the third best state in the country under ease of doing business in the Business Reforms Action Plan 2017. As of October 2020, the state had seven exporting Special Economic Zones (SEZs).
- Merchandise exports from Haryana reached US$ 12.06 billion in FY20 and recorded US$ 6.74 billion in FY21 (until November 2020).
- The state* attracted Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) equity inflow worth US$ 90.9 billion between April 2000 and September 2020, as per data released by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Krishi Kiosk online service for farmers was launched in June 2019 to provide information about Government’s current and upcoming schemes, and also help them to file claim under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Yojana.
- Haryana is a preferred destination for auto majors and auto component manufacturers. The state is host to many large automotive players. Automobiles and auto component exports from Haryana were about US$ 1.070.81 million in FY20 and have reached US$ 515.3 million in FY21 (until November 2020).
- Gurgaon has emerged as a preferred destination for the IT industry in north India with more than 400 IT and ITeS companies.
- Haryana aggressively promotes organic farming; financial assistance is provided to farmers for production and use of vermicompost. Total food grain production in Haryana in 2018-19 was 18.14 million tonnes. The state exported major agricultural products worth US$ 2,290.71 million in FY20 and US$ 1,543.43 million between April and November 2020.
- Districts such as Panipat, Gurugram, Faridabad, Hisar, and Sonepat have developed into robust textiles center in Haryana. Readymade cotton garments are one of the major exports from Haryana. Exports reached US$ 834.87 million in FY19 and US$ 310.8 million in FY21 (until November 2020).
- *Includes Delhi, part of Uttar Pradesh